Monday, November 19, 2007

HIV/AIDS And Africa

Hello Guys!. I must start by saying that it feels good to be back home in Blogville. I hope everybody’s fine ooo! Me? Oya, half half now. The exams were fine. By God’s grace I hope I’ve done well. Can’t wait for the results. And i must thank all of you good people who left good luck wishes on my page. I'm really gr8ful. It really means a lot to me.
So much to gist about, where do I even begin? Okay, some people have decided to mess my mood this good Monday morning abih? The devil is liar!
I just logged into my yahoo account first thing this morning and what do I find? More than a 100 same messages from different people saying, ‘’ let me be the 1st one to wish you a merry xmas!’’. Good Lord! November is not even over yet! December is not even half way thru, let alone started as yet! Oh no! How can people choose to spoil my after-exam mood like that? Nonsense! Merry xmas my foot! This time?

Ehen, I was on the phone with Jnr last night. He said to me, ‘’ Jane, mama a re o tle o re ise clinicking le Jeddah re ye go ntsha letlalo’’.( Jane, mama says you should come and take Jeddah and I to the clinic to remove the skin) Oh My God! So my mum has told them? The president just announced that young men should undergo circumcision as it also helps in reducing the spread of HIV/AIDS. How? I can’t even start to imagine. So my mum has been nagging me to come take the boys to the clinic for the operation. Ha! Not my boys now, ah-ah!, for what?. I still don’t know how the removal of the foreskin reduces the chances of getting infected with the virus now. Does anybody know? Not that I’ll take them to the clinic even if I knew. What’s so special about circumcision anyway? A dick is a dick, big or small, circumcised or not, it still gets one to cloud number 9 doesn’t it?
Ha!, my ex…you know…? the anonymous guy? Once told me that, when one has undergone the initiation, and then doesn’t suffer the illnesses that come along with it, like anesthesia and all, the person is considered a warrior, and given much respect among his clan/tribe. Who cares? We are talking AIDS here. Talk of respect? AIDS doesn’t know that word or its meaning.

And talking about HIV/AIDS, there’s this interesting programme that’s going on in our country. It started in June this year. For you to be part of the programme, you gotta be aged between 18 and 35,and you should be HIV negative. The programme is tryina test the effectiveness of a pill called Trevada-something like that, in short, TDF2. Anyone heard of it? The pill is gonna act as a vaccine for the HI virus. You know, just like babies are given vaccines for polio, measles and all other diseases that are prone to attack infants. I heard the pill is gonna work the same way. So if they administer it to you, your body will be able to fight back the HIV.

Youngsters are not coming forward to join the programme. Apart from the fact that people don’t want to test, the other reason is that, we are not getting satisfying answers when we ask questions about this pill. The organization that’s running the programme is only interested in getting people to join, and not answer the questions. I went there the 1st time I saw the advert on t.v, and the questions I asked, which I never gotten answers to, made me develop 2nd thoughts. I just had a feeling these people want to kill us you know? So what happens after the pill is administered on me? How long is the waiting period? From there what happens? Are they going to administer infected blood into my system and monitor if the pill has worked or what? How are they going to do the monitoring? Or better still, after I get the pill, was I supposed to go around bonking anyone, with no protection to check if the pill has worked or not? See, some people are going to think that, the pill is a cure for AIDS, and I think they’ll go sleeping around. What also pissed me off, was that they wanted to administer the pill on me immediately after they gotten the test results. That’s what they were interested in, and not answering my questions. So I told them, I’ll come back after they explained clearly on national t.v how that pill is going to work.

When I took a break from studying last week Friday I decided to go check on them again. Pity. They are still looking for volunteers. Useless officers, they claimed to know me, coz the minute I got into the office, one of them went like, ‘’ You? You’ve come again? We hope you’ve come to join the programme this time?’’
‘’Naaaah, I was just passing by to check on you guys’’. Well one of my distant cousin works there. His elder brother runs one talk show on t.v so he goes like, ‘’I’ll tell my brother to summon you to his show, let’s see if you’ll be able to ask him those funny questions’’
‘’Ha, so you think what I’m asking is funny huh? Well if he has the answers now, I’ll ask him exactly what I asked you people. And I’m so disappointed that you don’t know why you are running this programme. Do you know that in asking people to come forward and join, they are putting their lives at risk? Who can really risk their life in the name of fighting the AIDS scourge? Are getting paid at all?
‘’Just as much as we want people to volunteer, we are also volunteering.’’
‘’So you are good Samaritans? Ha, okay. By the way, where is this pill from? I know it’s definitely not from Africa?’’
‘’No, it’s not from Africa’’
‘’Yeah right, I knew it’’

I once talked to P.S about this, and he enlightened me with something that scared the living day lights out of me. He told me that, whoever came up with this pill, is hoping to make a lotta money. Bcoz the minute it’s known that, this pill is working exactly the way they had anticipated, Africa is going to buy it from them with a lot of money. Can you imagine? So Africa is where they come to do their hide and seek abih? Firstly, they invented AIDS,(coz i believe this disease was somehow invented by someone), shipped it into Africa. Secondly, they invent condoms, they ship them into Africa. Ever since these condoms came in, people are dying like nobody's business. Now they’ve invented a TDF2 pill, it’s here in Africa. It’s administered to Africans to check for its effectiveness. If it works, I know it’s gonna be shipped back to its origin. And then Africa will start buying it from them! People, what are we Africans? Pieces of shit? To be used and dumped just like that? Dammmmnnnn!

Look my good people, if and when this pill comes to your doorstep, biko, don’t allow them to administer it on anyone. Let the person or country that invented the pill, start by administering it on themselves! Ah-ah! What sort of rubbish is this? Nonsense!

My mood is really spoilt. Make I go do the rounds in Blogville now jare, useless people!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all i can say is wow never knew some men in africa are still uncircumsiced thank God we learn everyday

Male circumcision is the surgical removal of some or all of the foreskin from the penis.

Male Circumcision reduces the Risk for HIV and other diseases Compared to the dry external skin surface of the uncircumsised male, the inner mucosa of the foreskin has less keratinization a higher density of target cells for HIV infection and is more susceptible to HIV infection It has also been argued that the foreskin may have greater susceptibility to tears during intercourse, providing a portal of entry for pathogens including HIV lastly the micro-environment in the sac between the unretracted foreskin and the glans penis may be conducive to viral survival

So that i guess says it all

About the pill.I will not advise to be used as a statistic.
Why dem no test the hiv peeps from where dey r coming from

I swear we africans don suffer o


Pill ko Vaccination ni abeg dont mind them jare

As if we dnt knw dat in order 2 be vaccinated or used as a stat the strain of the hiv will actually be inntroduced into you
By vacc or pills

And if it backfires now well that na ur biz coz ull have signed papers absolving them of any blame b4 they start treatment on u

I hate the fact that they r not giving enough info am sure they assumed that africans are an uneducated lot *onyioshi*


Meanwhile dearie brace up for some tears if u r goin to take ur boys 2 be circumsiced that shit hurts and ull cry along with them 4 real!

But do ur research n follow ur mind

2 think of it wish i had the opportunity 2 see an uncircumcised dick before i go married lol

Heard uncircumsised men enjoy sex more than their circumsised counterpart. Hmmmmm


We missed u. Glad ur exams went well

Take kia love

Unknown said...

lol!! First: don't be scared Jay. Are you telling me that you have never had a strong premonition? Or going through something that was just like deja vu....? Same thing....

About HIV testing: They really should start testing in the origin country before moving it else where.

They sometimes, look at Africans as animals, for them to test and see...pls.... (hiss)

Circumcision: Research, has shown that circumcised men are less likely to have the HIV virus. So maybe you should reconsider for your kids? You don't want them to turn 20 and then go for the circumcision....do you?


:)

Pammy

Unknown said...

OMG

hmmm first thngs first
Jay, the earlier the better
everything will be okay
Just listen to what they are saying
Do what's best for the boys
I know u love them and u don't want anything to happen to them. Believe me othing will... just do what u gotta do

THe pill situation is quite annoying.

UnNaked Soul said...

do not take any drug unless you understand in detail the immediate and later effect of the drug...

I wonder why africa has the highest % of HIV infected...

Eyin'ju Oluwa said...

I used to think circumsicion(sp) is an automatic thing. I guess you should do some research and see what you find. Glad your exams went well...i see Nigerians are rubbing off on you, lol...using "ehen" and all. Its good jare, you're welcome to marry a Yoruba guy:D

Jayn Sean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jayn Sean said...

@Teacher Jummy...well said. Now i'm beginning to get scared for the boys now, if that thing hurts. I dont want them to hurt. I don't think i'll take that. But a better part of me wants their skin removed. I donno what to do. I'll see. Problem is they donno that its goinno hurt, they think its something they shud look forward to. Anyhow shaa, i'll let you guys know my decision.

@Pammy..my sister, believe me oo! i haven't gon thru that. You really scared me. Ermmm..maybe at 20 they'll be able to withstand the pain,right now they are small. And they'll want to go out and play. Even in the olden days, men used to go for initiation round about those years. I think i'll consider waiting till they are teens.
I dont really like it when people outside this continent take us Africans as nothing you know? It just makes me sick!

@Ola..thanx dear, i will.
Whats that noice Olamild?...Oh!..just remembered..you brushing your teeth..

@Unnaked S...I'm still wondering too oo! And can you imagine how our presidents are trying the best they can to erradicate the disease outta their countries? Buying ARV's and condoms every other day? I have a feeling they are infect buying the disease into their countries. Mxem! Anyway..thanx for stopping by.

Omo baby! So you here? Ehhwoo! i missed you girl! How you dey?
Did you say automatic? Ha! This girl. No now! To us it aint auto, its gotta come from you.Well..way way back it was, but now these are the changing times..
You know me and the language now, i think i'm even better than you. Please Omo, hook me up now, will you? Okay with a Yoruba this time, coz i cudn't grab an Igbo. Promise i'll be a good girl..lol..

eloquence of expression said...

you dont want to get some vaccine and dip the dick in some murky water, now, do you. programme ends up in some money spinning pyramid scum. Sounds like a nigerian 419 scum (pun intended), somebody will end up with the HI Virus, while the 419ers get fat.
Boys need the cut. Post Traumatic Exams Fever?????
While you were away, I made a friend, Pamela. Hello Pammy..

Jayn Sean said...

@Anonymous who..you? Good to know yours is circumcised. Gues your mother did right.
Its allowed to make friends.

princesa said...

Lol! Babes you sound really angry.
Some times we Africans are the architects of our own problems.
Those running the program didn’t even bother to understand what they are engaged in.
Africa needs more people like you, that can ask questions and refuse to be remote controlled like zombies.

princesa said...

I tagged you.
Visit my blog.

bumight said...

first time here.
I know I don't need to tell you not to take any stupid pills, they are just using u guys as experiment. they don't know if the pill would work that is why they are not supplying any answers, plus there is a chance that you MIGHT get INFECTED from the pill.
goodluck!

Unknown said...

lol....hi..who me? but who is this me --> Pammy wonders... :)

Afrobabe said...

hmmmm.I think the boys should get circumsized, I dont know about its reduction of hiv but I know it looks nicer...lol...

Its sad that the developed nations test out their drugs in africa and our leaders let them...

If it was a vaccine, why not try it out where it was invented?

bighead said...

I've not heard anything HIV vaccination yet o! Don't yu think that if such a thing was discovered, it'll be a much bigger deal than the hush-hush affair it is right now. Stay away.