Thursday, November 29, 2007

Stop Abuse Against Women



A deep white smoke filled the room. What kind of a room is this one? I want to walk quickly, but I can’t. I can’t even see my feet when I look down. I’m putting on a white gown, and there’s a white towel wrapped around my head. Slowly I walk. I don’t even know where I’m walking to, but I have to walk forward. Suddenly I see a group of people. They are also wearing white clothes. There are about 20 of them in front of me. They are walking in a queue towards what seemed like a gate. A very big gate. I walk slowly forward and joined the queue. I start wondering, ‘’where am I?’’. ‘’where are we walking to?’’. ‘’why are we wearing white?’’. ‘’why isn’t anybody talking?’’. And then I start to look around me. There are two straight-lined fences on both my sides. On my left side, I see a lot of people. They don’t look happy. Others are wailing. Others are fighting. Others are killing one another. I see a mother feeding a child with blood. Yuck! All these people are on fire, but they don’t seem to burn. Oh my God! It dawns on me. I’ve heard something like this will happen. Are those people in hell?

And then I look to my right. I stop walking. I see paradise. I see beautiful animals, beautiful fruit trees. I see children having fun. I see adults sitting under a tree, talking, laughing, and hugging. I see a little boy cupping clean water from the stream and having a lion drink from his hand. Oh my God! It dawns on me. I’ve heard something like that will happen. Are these people in heaven?

Wow! I wish to be in place like that. These people seem so happy. Is this how heaven looks like? While looking further on, I see someone. Do I know that person? Oh my God! He’s looking at me too. Who’s that? He is starting to walk towards me. I come nearer to the fence. I turn to look at the queue and see that 5 more people joined the line in front of me. Where is everybody coming from? I turn to look at the person coming towards me. Peter? That’s Peter. I start shouting his name. Oh my God! That’s my Peter.
But…but…but what is he doing in heaven? He should be in hell. Oh God why? Why did you put him in heaven?

He comes towards the fence. He’s touching my fingers but I can’t feel his touch. Is this how it is in heaven? Somebody touches you and you don’t feel their touch? Is this how it’ll feel if ever I get to feel Peter’s touch again? No feeling at all?

‘’Mercy, what are you doing here?’’
‘’I came looking for you’’
‘’But you can’t be here’’
‘’But I want to be here’’
‘’What about our son?’’
‘’He’ll be fine’’
‘’He is not FINE Mercy!’’
‘’How do you know?’’
‘’Look behind your back’’

Oh my God! I looked into what seemed like a mirror. I can see Bobo holding me. He is crying. I’ve seen him cry a lot of time, but I’ve never seen him cry like that. Our neighbor, Mrs Norman, is comforting him. Bobo is wearing a black tailored suit. There’s a lady by his side. The lady is wearing a wedding gown. It was Bubo’s wedding day. How can I choose to leave our son on his wedding day? What happened? Can I go back? No! But I want to be with Peter. Peter was taken away from me two months after we got married. I miss him. Now that I’m looking at his eyes, I don’t want to let him go. What do I do now?

I turn to look at Peter. ‘’You have to go back’’
‘’I can’t. I want to be with you.’’
‘’You will be with me in the future, right now he needs you. Please go back’’

I move away from the fence. I look back at the mirror. I look back at Peter. I can see his lips moving saying, ‘go back’’. I can see him pointing backwards. He’s telling me to go back. Back to a life I should have been sharing with him right then. We should have been together at our son’s wedding today. He should have been alive. He doesn’t belong here.

Our marriage was our blessing. Our couple was the one people termed as a match made in heaven. Things started getting sour when he went for a friend’s stag party. Ever since that time, Peter came back a different person. Whatever happened there took all our happiness away. What followed was years of hardship and abuse. The incident that I will never forget was the night he came home, very drunk. I was in the kitchen making popcorns for our late night movie. Bobo was playing one t.v game. When he entered the house, he shouted my name. I didn’t like the tone in his voice. I came immediately. Before I could ask anything, I saw him hurry towards Bobo, picked him up, then came towards me, threw Bobo at me like he was throwing a piece of paper…

I look back at the mirror; I look back at Peter again. He is still asking me to go back. I start to proceed towards the gate. There are about 10 people in front of me. I know before I walk through that gate I would have made up my mind….

This is an extract from the draft of a book I wish to complete writing one day. And a book I dream of seeing turned into a movie. It’s a dedication to all women in the whole wide world. Abuse is not safe. Abuse is not good. Lets all unite to fight abuse, especially against women.

Have a great weekend.

20 comments:

eddiie said...

Woooh!! i think you can make a very great writer. Honestly..thats great.

Abuse against women? I believe women like you have to really be open about some of these things...

Women have to come in the open. In numbers by the way.

Nice pix you have on the side..

eloquence of expression said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
princesa said...

Hey sweet!
Nice effort but i noticed some discrepancies.
How long did the marriage last 2mths or 2 years??
I ask cos of their kid-bobo who you said was playing with a game.

Stay well.

ps: About that kenya chic, maybe she just wants to be friends. give her a chance first. If she tries anything more then you tell her off.

Jayn Sean said...

@Eddiiee..i'm glad you figured that out sef. A lotta people are reading my blog and thats what they say. Like the Botswana Police Department has asked me to write short stories for their magazine. Their first Issue is gonna include 'Who Killed The President- A Done Deal.''...I don't really consider myself a good writer. I just put down on paper what and how i feel. And how i think things should be done. Now that we've closed schools i have enuff time to write my stories.
Thepicture on the side? Well that was taken e weekend. At a friend's babyshower. I was lazy to upload some more pics for you guys. Thanx for stpping by...

@Princesa...The situation is as of now, while Mercy was in heaven, Mercy and Peter had been together for a coupla years b4 they got married.2 months after they got married, he died.
Now, Mercy is remembering that time when the abuse started. During their time together. When Bobo was still young. Right now Mercy is in heaven and has to make a decision whether to go back or not. A lot of things happened. Mercy blacked out on Bobo's wedding day bcoz of those things. Unless if you want me to write everything here. I hope you get it?

eloquence of expression said...

Out of curiosity, does UB allow foregn students because the last time I checked,..erm.. they didnt, I was wondering why a kenyan girl should be in UB in the first place, not that she might be better of, lets say, UN, Egerton, Daystar, JKUCAT, or even MU and USIU, or Cambridge just to mention but a few colleges in Nairobi alone. Must be fictius kenyan lesbo.. I like the plot

Jayn Sean said...

@Who..you? Are you sure that comment belonged to this post? Mxem! You still haven't seen the psychiatrist have you? Nonsense.
There are a lotta foreigners at this University, just like there are a lotta foreigners in J'burg. Who would we be not to allow non-citizens? The last time you checked where? The last time i heard when you went to school was...when was that? I don't even remember. Bona Edwin, get a life, abegiii...As for the Kenyan lesbo, you tell me if she's acting or what. Coz i really got nothing to do with her..

SOUND said...

I think u good as an author. Keep up the good work.

eloquence of expression said...

Shrink.... I used to have one, Gail Sapelton, she moved town sometimes ago. I think you might be watching too much TV, coz I do have a life minus the occasional prostitute here and there, I pay well, so they say. About a kenyan lesbo, shrugs... its her life and she definetely must score. I'm with her for her. My education, lol.. a UCT dropout, checklist my position with lot of folks with masters and you will know why education is not always the key.

Unknown said...

hello,

First, most universities in Africa allow foreign students. I once played with the idea of going to a different region of Africa for my undergrad.

About the Kenyan chic: Be careful!! What she is doing does not sound normal at all. You should just make sure that you do not send mixed messages - let her know that you do not swing that way.

Check out Eddie's blog.

eddiie said...

Hmmm..you really love baby showers..You must hjave had around 3-4-5-6 baby showers this year...

Lieing? I bet NO....the only difference this time is that you didnt spread for us the pix.

The last time you had a baby shower at your friends place, i had a great time looking at the drama...

The dance and drinks were almost endless and i wonder what happened this time...

And CONGRATULATIONS SIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haleluyah!!!!! This post is a little..ok not a little but religious i must say..So i guess because of the close relationship with God..HE rewarded you...

I didnt get a chance to comment on that GIRL...That one who was drying on you..who wanted to know your CRIB...

Am rallying behind you. I WISH I WOULD STRETCH MY HAND THERE...THAT LADY WOULD BE IN TROUBLE...

I would tell of course in teh face..Let her leave my girl ooooo!!!

I think she needs a ticket to those western countries where she can chase after her fellows....

But am greatful the Botwanan Police got you that Job...

One request...the story that runs? i need a forward of it so that i be following issues...

:)

guerreiranigeriana said...

nice writing...interested to see more...this isn't the beginning is it?...if it is, you may want to make the clarification about the time between mercy and peter more clear...it took me a minute to realize that the memory must have been before the marriage and that they had the child before marriage...good though...i'm curious about how it ends...

1l said...

Something needs to be done with your web site. Maybe you should put your stories on there, You might even record one or two short ones with your voice; you have a lovely voice...even serialize a longer one......audio books!
You are actually very good.

Initium said...

Interesting post...we need to speak out and support women in these difficult situations so they can get out and build a better life. All the best.

Writefreak said...

Nice piece , make sure you complete the work please but like princesca, i noticed something that might be out of place..how long did the marriage last? 2 months? 2 years? Cos bobo was playing video game. Keep up the good work

Ms. emmotions said...

jay babe, nice effort. am very much against any form of abuse

Unknown said...

beautiful

`can't wait to see you do it BIG

eddiie said...

Hmmmm....been rare? Is some bod around?

eddiie said...

Hmmmm...by the way i forgot to ask?...when do you expect the book to get finished?

May be some of us can book....!!

And by the way thanks for the long pass at my blog!! I have a reply for Vicky in there...So you might wanna check it out for her...

can't wait for the ext post!!

Afrobabe said...

The book sounds like it will be a good one...but what Kenya chic is Princesa talking about, or am I reading a different/edited post????

Jayn Sean said...

@Douglas...Thanx.**raised eyebrow**..i wonder who you are..

@Pammy..point taken girl. I went to Eddiie's blog and that was something. We need to take this guy out for some drinks or smth..what du think?..LOL..

@Eddiie..i don't wanna talk about what happened at that baby shower, bcoz i almost lost my camera. Yeah there's been a lot of babyshowers lately, you know how its like now, when we come back from winter a lot of people come back pregnant..lol..no sir i donno why..
About that Kenyan girl, tell that anonymous ooo! He told me he runs a brothel, or did he say he usually visits brothels in down town J'burg, but..well...something like that. I gues they can make a lovely couple, concidering that they are even both from the same country..
Oya, i'll keep on forwarding you every issue of the magazine.

@Guerreiranigeriana..(hope i got the name right)..you got it right babe, thats at the end of the story/book. Thats why i told Princesa that a lot happened between those two.Glad you cud follow suit the story. But thats how i write my stories, flashbacks, the present, the past, the future, the present again...i donno..even at school i wrote my essays like that.Thanx for stopping by..

@Perfect Stranger..thanx. I thought about that too. Sounds really perfect coming from you..

@Acainto...i cudn't agree with you more. Its hi time we stood up to what we know is rightfully ours- thats our freedom to fight back the right way. Thanx for stopping by...

@Writefreak...think i'm good in writting? Well i gues i took after you..lol..i'll explain in details in another draft or better still you'll get to read it more and understand better at my web site, which is gonna be lauched soon.**wink**

@Ms. Emmotions...me too. Any form of abuse whatsoever. Thanx for stopping by..

@Ola...You my inspiration..if you didn't know that is...

@Catwalq...you think so?

@Eddiie...I'll let you guys know about the proceedings concerning the book. Like i said that post is an extract from a draft. So you shud wait a lil longer...but b4 next year end. Thats a promise.

@Afrobabe... you are at the right place babe, and maybe on the right track. Don't you know about that Kenyan who wants to 'do' me? Go read the post b4 the latest.