Sunday, October 28, 2007

Happy Days Are Here...Still

For the nth time, meet these two boys and a girl, who came in row. I've said it many a times without number, i'm not ashamed to have had them at 22! I still believe everything happens for a reason, and one day i know i'll get to know that reason. The folowing story is a dedication to them:



Once upon a time, in the remotest area ever, deep into the forest, at one cattle post, there was a girl. A little girl. She was 8 years old. Her name was Seanel (pronounced Shaw-nel).
To her life seemed just fine. Herding the goats into the kraal in the evening, separating the young from their mothers, and retiring to sit around the fire, was all she knew all those days of her life. She was in grade/standard 3. Staying at the cattle post, tracking a couple of kilometers to school everyday, barefooted, didn’t matter that much to her. All she wanted was to get an education. Dammmnnn! At a mere 8 years? What did she understand about the importance of education?

She was staying with her mother’s grandmother. And 10 more distant cousins. They lived in a small mud hut that had only a drum as the door. The roundavell was not big enough to accommodate all of them, but they had no choice.

Her mother stayed in the big city, trying to find work. She only gotten to see her mother 2 times during those 2 years she stayed at the cattle post. At that time, the only means of communication was through writing letters, and during her stay at the cattle post, she received only one letter from her mother. In that letter her mother wrote, telling her how much she loves her, and that very soon she’ll come take her to the city. In the letter, her mother asked her to hold on a little while longer. Inside the envelope was also enclosed some 60thebe coins. It was a lot of money at that time, coz she managed to buy herself half loaf of bread and some sweets.
During those years, she only got new clothes 2 times in 2 years, i.e. only on Christmas. The pair of panties she got during the course of the year, she never wore. The older cousins took them away from her. So she went to school with no underwear. The new pair of foot flops she got, she never wore them too. That’s why she walked barefooted to school everyday. Life at the cattle post was very hard. And living with those distant cousins made it harder. But that’s not what she cared about. She wanted the years to come and pass. She wanted the days to go by. She prayed for her mother to find work. She wished for the day, her mother will come, hold her hand, and tell her that, ‘’I’ve come for you. Pack your bags and let’s go’’.
After school she had to rush home (to the cattle post), because if she came late, she won’t find anything to eat. All the 11 of them ate in one big basin. When it was time to eat, it was survival of the fittest or an early bird catching the fattest worm kind of thing. Summer was fine, except for the constant biting of the mosquitoes. Winter was worse. She’ll be having on just a simple skirt and a very light top. That’s all she had then.

It was not safe living at the cattle post. It was difficult for her, herding the goats with no shoes on. But she had to coz she was ordered to. Else she would go for days without food. The water they used to wash with, bath with, cook and drink came from a well. And everyday, each one of them should fetch at least 5 buckets of that water. There was a time when she nearly fell into the well and when she got home, and told the grandmother, she was given the beating of her life!



One day she was coming from school after the afternoon study. She was walking alone. On the way, up on the road she saw a white car parked in the middle of the road. And 3 men were standing on the road too, discussing something she couldn’t hear. Immediately she saw the car, she branched into the bush and hid under one shrub. She waited. Listening to the men talk. She kept her breath very low. After what seemed like ages, the men left. She thanked her God, and proceeded to going home. In those days child abduction was very common, and in seeing those men that’s the first thing that came to her mind. Remember we talking about an 8 year old.

The best thing about this little girl was that she was very smart in class. At other times, when the teacher was not in, she’ll take over. And her teacher loved her that much. There was a time when she was called to a grade 5 class. When she got there, she was asked to explain to the learners the difference between a bird, bad and bed. And how to pronounce those words. The day her mother came to ask for her transfer, her teacher cried uncontrollably. But to her that was dreams come true….

Back to reality:
My middle name is Seane. I just added that (l) for the story.People don’t believe that, that happened to me as a child. I don’t know why. But it did. And today when I tell my mum about it she goes like, ‘’look where that got you now. You are a very smart responsible lady. I used to hurt that I did that to you, but there are times that I feel proud that I left you at the cattle post, coz of what you are today. I’m proud of you’’.


Today I do believe that what goes around comes around. I wasn’t staying with my mum when I started school and all, and now my kids are not staying with me. Sometimes I feel the reason why my mum doesn’t want me to take the kids is because she wants to make it up to me, for not staying with me when I was growing up. At the time I needed her the most. But, what if when those 3 grow up, they are gonna ask me why I didn’t stay with them now? Well P.S says that if I stayed with those 3, I’ll spoil them rotten. I believe him, coz I saw that, the time I was staying with them back in 2004. He says that my mum can do the better job in raising them up.


And I think I understand now why my mum could not stay with me then. That’s why I want to talk about it here. For the very last time in my life. She didn’t have a choice. Life was hard for her. And I think she didn’t want to put me through all that at that time. Thank God I was- and still am- her only child. It was better. Imagine me fending for 3. But I’m not complaining ooo! I have my mum to thank. She’s doing gr8 with the kids and I’ll always be gr8ful for that. I’m still wondering what I can get her for this coming xmas.


I just wanted to let this out of my chest. I feel much better now. And for the record...i don't want my kids to go through what i went through. I'll make sure of that...

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trying so damn hard.. always an easier way of doing it. Go find it. Cute threesome.

Obinwanne said...

very cute boys...

anonymous gal(retired blogger) said...

o wat cute kids.

anonymous gal(retired blogger) said...

bac to reality thats an awesome story. are u really the mother of three boys seriously i think i mis read your post

princesa said...

Wait a minute girl! You had triplets!!! WOW...Thats wonderful!

Your story was very touching dear. Your kids look happy, that shows you aint doing bad as a mum.

Take care.

Jayn Sean said...

@Anonymous..nobody knows that(the kids are cute) more than i do.

@Obinwanne...think so? oh yeah..me too. And the girl too. beautiful. Thanx for stopping by..

@Anon gal..hey, i been a mother of three at 22. In fact it's two boys and a girl. 5 years down the line, people still say i don't look like i got 3 in a row. Sad. But i am.

@Princesa...they aint triplets babe. They came like that- 1, 2, 3 in a row. Girl first, she'll be 8 this xmas. Then Jnr 6 and Jeddah 5. And its not just me doing good, but my mum. I donno..she loves these kids more than her own child. I get jealous sometimes..lol..jokin'..really all credits shud go to my mum. Thanx for stopping by girlfriend..

Anonymous said...

Babes am calculating in my head that means ure 30 damn!

Come o arent u d one in d pic below the girl in front of the lovers hill?

That cant be u !

Dat girl looks 16

If dats u am officially jealous of u lol

Dnt i just love it when women snap back 2 chics aftr having kids!

Unknown said...

Wow!! This story is deep. Now I understand why this blog is titled 1 -2-3 in a row. I often wondered. Mummy's are the greatest.

About what you will tell you kids when they start asking questions - Just tell them the same story you told us. They love you and they will understand...

:-)
much love,
pammy

Unknown said...

Wow!! This story is deep. Now I understand why this blog is titled 1 -2-3 in a row. I often wondered. Mummy's are the greatest.

About what you will tell you kids when they start asking questions - Just tell them the same story you told us. They love you and they will understand...

:-)
much love,
pammy

Jayn Sean said...

@Anonymous...lol..calculating ke? not yet 30. But i'll get there. Gimme three more years.
I donno how to explain the fact that a mother of three is still looking 16. Like i dont even work out or keep a strict diet. Maybe thats how it was supposed to be. That i shud be having 3 kids at this my age and still look..ermm..**clears throat**..16.

@Pammy..mummys are the gr8est alright! I hope when i tell them, thats is, if and when they ask, they won't sue me oo! I didn't think abou suing my mum, but i was really pissed off with her. But in time i gotten to understand that she had no choice by then.
How you dey?

1l said...

I don't think 'P.S.' meant you were not good as a mother. Unlike your own mother, you are capable of providing the family with some money, but to spend too much would spoil them and undermine what your mother is achieving with them. For the same reason they are better off in the Village than experiencing city life.
They are well fed and happy, just look at their faces.... so just now, relevant poverty is best in their young lives. Let them not be different from their peers. That way, they remain well grounded in life's values and, with education.....together with a little help from your friends, things can only get better.

Jayn Sean said...

@Perfect Stranger...perfectly said.

eddiie said...

Hey,....hey hey..

Like a fairy tale. i mean that was some kind
"Movie"

Ok...the last time i watched a Nigeria movie..believe me or not...it went almost like that...Hmmmmm you must have been Mums babie....

Yeah i think the way she treated you by being in the viallage must have taught you some really good instincts. Ii mean you have grown to be a sstrong charctor today and thats what is needed...

But for ya children?...i just do not think you should over leve them with ya mum/....

They need to get the love you didnt get from ya mom.Let us not act in the Africa beleif that..."i suffered to get where iam today and and they must also face some hard times."

Ok..thats just an illustration...I dont mean you are intentionallt making them face days but ask them...

If they feel good staying with ya mum then its ok but if they want to be with yaa...Girl be ready to spoil them the right way please...

Howz TIA...

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Your babies are beautiful!!!! What a blessing they must be!

Parents always seem to love their grandchildren way more than they love their children. lol! Thank God that your mom can enjoy them and take care of them for you. God is good! Thanks for sharing this story, very brave!

You look great!!!!!!

GERALD said...

Jaybabe!!!! Iam still alive and kicking. these flucks have connected the internet today and I can promise you... I will post in the next 24 hrs....
Nice T babe..

Jayn Sean said...

@EDDIIE...Hey you! So you still kickin'? Thought you left Blogville. Well..good to see you around.
One thing i know is if i'll ask them if they wanna come stay here with me in the city, they'll shout 'yes' without thinking. It wudnt be a problem coming with them here. But who'll be with them when i go to work?
Again my mum stays home, if i take them, she's gonna be bored all alone.
I think i can agree with P.S for now they need to stay in the village. At least its not at the cattle post ehh? They do have multiple underwears which they change everyday. They eat at list 3 time a day. They don't go barefooted...you know? its better for them. Even though some times i worry when i call and then i get to know that Vicky is not yet back from school, you know? i panick. These days you never know. But thanx for all that mann! I really appreciate it. xx

@Solomonsydelle...You just made me cry...you donno who much courage it took me to write that one up. Those are the times i dont wanna remember. I look back and can't believe i'm still here today you know? Smiling like now. Have you ever been in a situation where by you wish for december when january had just started?

@Gerald..thank God you fine. Make i go to you page now...

diary of a G said...

hey Jaybabe just finish reading...
You've come along way and am happy for you...love your attitude...from generation to generation I pray our people only become stronger and live better

Jayn Sean said...

@DOG...Hey. I can't even believe i've come that far myself you know? It just used to not bother me that much, but now, since posting this and you guys' comments, i realise that i'm kinda like...one in a million..Thanx very much for that Dee. i really appreciate.
In Jesus' name..

eddiie said...

Hmmmmm...ok well illustrated answer surely but i still insist you start thinkin about them...

You see, those kids need to get to know their mom and its where the affection comes from...

But its all ok in case they are growin up well.Next time you call them, send ma greetind to them startin with Vicky and the rest ofcourse...

Anonymous said...

Oh wow cute little angels nice story...

Unknown said...

1 2 3 in a row
makes a lot of sense now
HMMmm your story was touching
and I can definateely relate to it
No one wants their own kid to go through hardship

GOd bless u and your kids

EDNUTEY said...

great story...we shouldn't think about what happened to us back then...but what those situations has made us- d kind of peopla we are today...dat's all dat matters...come to think of it...most people dat go tru hardship always end up being d best at who/what dey are and what they do...I'm glad ur mom is proud of u...lovely kids and I love ur picture on d side...thanks for sharing dis story...kinda reminds me of me...except I didn't go tru all dat...bgut u're a better person today...take care

Afrobabe said...

awwwww. that is so nice...

Yes, ur mum is probably trying to make it up to u but that only makes the story more endearing...they look cute and babes u dont look like someone who has had kids oh,see ur figure and I am here battling weight...jealous!!!

Afrobabe said...

awwwww. that is so nice...

Yes, ur mum is probably trying to make it up to u but that only makes the story more endearing...they look cute and babes u dont look like someone who has had kids oh,see ur figure and I am here battling weight...jealous!!!

diary of a G said...

Please don't let this be the last
we hear about your children...they are your life and I totally understand your pride n joy...speak
passionately when expressing your love for em...I'll holla

Jayn Sean said...

@ALL...You peole just made me cry with all these your comments now!...Thank you very much for all the soothing words. I'm really gr8ful and i can't even thank all of you enough.

@Eddiie..i'll pass my greetings to then. ''Uncle Eddiie says hi!'' right?..lol..why shud i even start with Vicky? Dammmnn! this girl always gets 1st b4 anyone ooo! You asked about Tia? She's fine. The baby growing well and she's attending her A.N.C well too. I'll be seeing her this weekend. I 'll tell her you asked about her.

@Be Silent...cutier than cute!..LOL..how you dey?

@Ola...Amen to the blessings oo! I donno why, but we africans relate in one way or the other. I'm so relieved i shared this story. It's really gotten the weight outta my shoulders now.
And when i created this blog i didn't stop one minute to think about it's tittle. It came right there and there. These anklesnappers have all the time been on my mind. Thanx for stopping by..

@Sparkle..means a lot to hear you say that. Thank you.

@Afrobabe..battling with weight? Tell you what..don't tell anyone okay? **whispering** I'm taking Periactin pills. The ones that'll make me gain a little weight. You know like a size 38 will do. I'm really tired of looking like i don't have kids-3 for that matter. So sooner than later, i'll be your size(what size are you?)..and we'll be in this together. How does that sound? These kids make me who i am at the moment babe and i can't imagine what is left of my life without them. I'm always keeping an open ear as to what cud be happening around them.You shud've seen how i almost flew home the day Jeddah broke his arm! Thanx for all that babe.

@DOG...point taken Sir! ''they are your life'', ''..pride n joy..'', ''..your love for them..''..i loved that! Thanx and i promise i will..

bighead said...

Really touching story. I'm happy that things turned out well for you.

Sam Oracle said...

Am I late?

Thatz a very touching story.
We're glad it had a good ending

Nice kids
Looks like you'll have to fix the house a million times coz with happy kids like that in a house, they'll play from the sitting room to the kitchen to the bedroom.

Jayn Sean said...

@Bighead..thanx for finally stopping by mann! I'm happy too that things turned out this way. It took me a lotta courage towrite that one up. Story's too sad. Again thanx.

@Oracle..you were almost late.
As if you were in my thoughts about the house i have to build for those 3. But i'll make sure i create nuff space for them. I don't worry that much tho,coz with my mum instilling those kinda morals in them, i don't think they'll gimme much wahala by turning the house upside down. Thanx for stopping by...

Stuck in my throat said...

you went thru that as a child?GOD is SUPREME...

UnNaked Soul said...

God bless. *wink*

Jayn Sean said...

@Un-naked soul...thanx. **wink back**

Fo said...

cute...are they all urs???cute story too...keep smiling girl,if u wan check ma blog mail me on fatimsani@yahoo.co.uk
-.-